July 27, 2018
Last year GHCT was delighted to be able to award grants totalling £150,000 to congregations needing financial help with repairs, maintenance and improvements to their churches.
This record amount was made possible thanks to our generous supporters and the success of our annual fundraiser ‘Ride+Stride’ – a sponsored event in which people visit local churches or organise events. Half the money raised goes directly to the participant’s chosen church, half to the Trust.
More people than ever before took part in Ride+Stride in 2017; on foot, bicycles, horseback and even touring the region in the comfort of a car, raising more than £46,000.
We’re hoping 2018’s event can be even more successful, so we’re calling on every church in Gloucestershire, South Gloucestershire and North Bristol to take part on Saturday 8 September.
As well as receiving half the sponsorship money raised, the benefits for each church include:
• an opportunity to welcome new visitors to the church
• community engagement – organised events are also eligible activities for Ride+Stride
• positive consideration should your church decide to apply for a grant from GHCT
• prizes for top fundraisers, including a £50 award for the under-16 raising the most
• a thoroughly enjoyable day out!
Improvements at St Andrew, Avonmouth, supported by GHCT
Here’s how you can get involved:
• Contact our Regional Organiser Glenn Duff at email@example.com to find out what’s involved and receive useful promotional material for the event.
• Encourage the local community to take part in the event – either by raising sponsorship to tour churches locally or in a new area, or by welcoming visitors to yours (cakes always help!)
• Ensure that your church will be open to visitors from 10am to 4pm on Saturday 8 September – even a few hours will help those planning a route to include a visit to your church. Please let Glenn know whether and when the church will be open.
We will look forward to seeing you out and about on 8 September!