Off the beaten track
St Katherine, Wormington

St Katherine, Wormington

St Katherine, Wormington This delightful village church has no tower, only a bellcote, and much of it is built in the Perpendicular style. An unusual Anglo-Saxon stone crucifix found locally is displayed in the south aisle. Features attributed to Arts and Crafts...

St Christopher, Warden Hill

St Christopher, Warden Hill

St Christopher, Warden Hill Built in the 1960s to serve the new Warden Hill housing estate, St Christopher’s best known for its superb set of stained glass windows designed by Tom Denny. These were installed up both sides of the nave between 1985 and 1995. Each window...

St Mary’s Chapel, Shepperdine

St Mary’s Chapel, Shepperdine

St Mary's Chapel, Shepperdine This is a rare surviving example of a ‘Tin Tabernacle’ – an early pre-fabricated building designed to accommodate a growing congregation until a suitable permanent building could be erected. Built from wood and corrugated iron, the church...

St Edward, Kempley

St Edward, Kempley

St Edward, Kempley Built in 1903, St Edward’s was described by John Betjeman as “a mini-cathedral of the Arts and Crafts movement”. Construction was overseen by Randall Wells on behalf of Lord Beauchamp. In keeping with the Arts and Crafts ethos, the building was...

Unitarian Chapel, Frenchay

Unitarian Chapel, Frenchay

Unitarian Chapel, Frenchay Frenchay has a strong history of non-conformism and this single-storey building dates to the early 18th century, with alterations in 1815. A four-stage tower above the entrance is topped with a weathervane commemorating the passing of...

St Michael, Duntisbourne Rouse

St Michael, Duntisbourne Rouse

St Michael, Duntisbourne Rouse This remote church sits in an idyllic location on a steep hillside. Examples of Saxon herringbone stonework remain, while the chancel is a Norman addition. Beneath this is a fascinating barrel-vaulted crypt with a window. Inside the...

St Lawrence, Didmarton

St Lawrence, Didmarton

St Lawrence, Didmarton Brought out of redundancy in 1992, St Lawrence’s illustrates beautifully the arrangements of an 18th century country church. The small sanctuary has its original rails and is flanked by small box pews. A triple-decker pulpit incorporates the...

St Mary, Ampney St Mary

St Mary, Ampney St Mary

St Mary, Ampney St Mary This simple church sits two miles outside the village it serves, possibly due to a relocation of homes following the Black Death. The nave is Norman, and separated from the chancel by an unusual stone rood screen. It’s now possible to see the...